PortableApps.com is the world’s most popular portable software solution allowing you to take your favourite software with you. A fully open source and free platform, it works on any portable storage device (USB flash drive, memory card, portable hard drive, etc), cloud drive (DropBox, Google Drive, etc), or installed locally. With millions of users all over the world and a full collection of open source software as well as compatible freeware and commercial software and partners in the software and hardware industry, it is the most complete solution for life on the go.
It was was founded by John T. Haller, the developer behind numerous portable applications including “Portable Firefox” which started the portable software trend. We’ve been making software portable since March 2004. Today, our team stands at over 100 developers, translators, application packagers, designers and release testers. Their goal is to centralize the knowledge and development of portable software efforts and build a single, open platform which any software or hardware developer can use.
Some of my personal favourites are:
- Notepad++ Portable – A full-featured text editor with syntax highlighting
- XAMPP – Apache, mySQL, PHP, phpMyAdmin, etc in one package
- Sudoku Portable – the wildly popular and addictive puzzle game
- FileZilla Portable – the full-featured FTP client
- WinSCP Portable – SFTP, FTP and SCP client (if you have Kaspersky blocking you)
- Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition – the award-winning web browser that’s safe and secure
- VLC Media Player Portable – An easy to use media player that plays many formats
- 7-Zip Portable – File archiver and compressor
A complete list is found in the Portable App Directory.