Just a few hours ago I updated PHP from version 5.2.2 -> 5.2.3. Excluding the time it takes to download and unpack the latest build it took me less than half a minute to complete the update.
Note! These instructions are only applicable if you are running a local web server on Windows AND followed my instructions on how to install PHP5 on windows.
1. Get the latest version…
- Grab the latest Windows binary zip package (PHP 5.2.3)
- Unzip it to e.g. C:\php523
2. Start speed installation…
- Copy php.ini from C:\php5 to C:\php523 (temp dir from above)
- Rename C:\php5 to C:\php5-old
- Rename C:\php523 to C:\php5
- Click on the Apache tray icon, open the menu and choose Restart
3. Verify and clean…
- Verify that your server is up-to-date; phpinfo().
- If success, delete C:\php5-old and all files and sub-directories.
That’s it, you’re done 🙂